About Us‎ > ‎

History

In 1854  thirteen of our Scottish ancestors (nine men and four women) met in the Court House in Lumberton with a committee of  Fayetteville Presbytery to form the Lumberton Presbyterian Church.

Our church has been blessed to have special leadership since its beginning. The presbytery provided supply ministers until 1905, except for a period of five years when there was a permanent pastor.  The men they supplied were well educated and from diverse backgrounds.

 From 1916 to 2013, a period of ninety-seven years, only seven ministers have served our church. The longest term of service was twenty years and the shortest was five years. These men served as leaders in the city as well as the Presbyterian Church at large.

Our first building was dedicated in 1858 and located on East Fifth Street. After a period of growth, a second building was built on Fifth Street in 1885. This site is currently occupied by Koonce Noble & Associates. The present sanctuary was constructed at Tenth and Chestnut Streets in 1918.  In addition to the sanctuary building, other church properties include an Education Building, an Activities Building, an office building (Elm Street House), a scout hut and a manse, which is used as the youth building.

Through the years our membership has grown from a small nucleus of Presbyterians of Scotch descent to a congregation of diverse backgrounds and an array of ages.  As we have grown in numbers, we have grown in our endeavors  “to proclaim the Lord with joy in our community and throughout the world.”   

First Presbyterian Church members support local and foreign missions with their financial resources as well as time and energy.  Operation Fun, our very own ministry, has reached locally disadvantaged boys and girls for more than sixty years.  Many of our church members have traveled abroad to mission efforts in Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico and Malawi.

There are many opportunities for worship throughout the week. We have two worship services each Sunday --- a contemporary service (8:30 AM) in the Activities Building and a traditional service (11:00 AM) in the sanctuary.  Sunday school classes for children and adults are held each Sunday following the early worship service. In addition, a Wednesday Together supper and program are held midweek. 

Eva Ruth is Director of Christian Nurture, Heather Miller is Children's Ministry Director, and Allen Lloyd is Director of Music and organist.  The current governing bodies consist of twelve Elders and twenty two Deacons.

Our current pastor is Reverend David Ruth. His call to First Presbyterian Church began November 30, 2014.


Proclaiming the Good News
A Sesquicentennial History, 1854-2004
First Presbyterian Church
Lumberton, North Carolina

This illustrated ninety-six page book was compiled by a committee of church members for our 150th celebration in 2004.  A copy of the history book is available to new members at no cost.  Replacement copies are $20 each are are available to be picked up from financial secretary, Kenneth Sasser 739-7581 ext. 5.


 
Subpages (1): Scottish Heritage